Published Date: 11 January 2018
Tender Status: complete
Tender Opening Date: n/a
Tender Closing Date: 30 January 2017
Award Date: 31 March 2017
Contract Start Date: 1 April 2017
Contract End Date: 31 March 2018
Contract is suitable for SMEs: Yes
Contract is suitable for VCSEs: Yes
Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) Contract Type: Services
On 1 September 2014, Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014 took effect, offering simpler, improved and more consistent help for children and young people in England with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
The new system is:
• replacing statements of SEN and learning disability assessments with Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans - setting out in one place all the support families will receive;
• requiring councils to publish a 'local offer' showing the support available in the area to all children and young people who have disabilities or SEN;
• requiring better co-operation between councils and health services to make sure services for children and young people with SEN and disabilities are jointly planned and commissioned;
• giving parents and young people with EHC plans the offer of a personal budget;
• introducing mediation for disputes; and
• introducing a legal right for children and young people with an EHC plan to express a preference for state academies, free schools and further education colleges.
On 26 January 2016, the Children's Minister Edward Timpson, announced a package of additional support for implementation of the SEND reforms in England during 2016-17. This included:
o £35.8 million in implementation funding for local authorities in 2016 to 2017, recognising the additional duties placed on them as a result of the transition to EHC plans
o £27.3 million for the Family Fund Trust to support low income families with disabled children
o £15 million to fund the independent supporters programme, helping to support families and young people to navigate the system, and creating positive experiences for them
o £2.3 million for Parent Carer Forums, which bring parents together to provide invaluable support and advice for families.
To complement this programme of delivery support, the Government is now seeking applications for a new contract in 2017-18 to improve the support provided for children and young people with additional needs in speech, language and communications.
Some of the key requirements for the contract are provided at Annex A. Further information is contained within the Invitation to Tender documentation. To request a copy of the documentation, please e mail the contracts mailbox at: Contracts2017-18.SEND@education.gov.uk, quoting the contract title and reference number. In the subject line of your e mail, please include the words 'Request for ITT documentation'.
See 'Attachments' for a word version of the advert which includes links to other documents.
Contact name: Angela Overington
Address: Department for Education, 0-25 SEND Unit Level 1, Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith Street
Price Range: £650,000